Below is a summary of my writings and activities that aim to revitalise judaism and help shift our imperiled planet onto a sustainable path.They are based on my strong belief that Jewish values can make major differences and are needed perhaps more than ever before.
I welcome your comments and suggestions and would be very happy if you would join in my efforts and/or suggest others who might be interested in doing so.
- The second edition of my book, “Judaism and Global Survival,” can be freely read at www.jewishVeg.org/schwartz. It discusses how Jewish teachings on compassion, justice, peace, environmental sustainability, reducing hunger, conserving natural resources, and much more can be applied to improve the world.
- My most recent book, “Who Stole My Religion? Revitalising Judaism and Applying Jewish Values to Help Heal Our Imperilled Planet,” reinforces and extends the arguments in the aforementioned book and argues that Jews should play leading roles in efforts to avert a climate catastrophe and other potential environmental disasters. The entire book can be freely read at
- The third edition of my book, “judaism and Vegetarianism,” can be freely read at www.JewishVeg.org/schwartz. It argues that vegetarianism and veganism are the diets most consistent with basic Jewish teachings on health, compassion, environmental sustainability, resource conservation, reducing hunger, and other issues.
- I have over 250 articles on the aforementioned issues at www.JewishVeg.org/schwartz.
- I am the Associate Producer, helping multi-award-winning producer Lionel Friedberg, in producing the acclaimed, award-winning, one-hour documentary, “A Sacred Duty: Applying Jewish Values to Help Heal the World.” It dramatically reinforces the ideas in my books. It can be freely viewed on You Tube or by visiting www.ASacredDuty.com, where you can also read reviews, blurbs, and information about the video.
- Living in Israel for almost two years now, I have been active in trying to increase awareness of the aforementioned issues and values. I have averaged at least one letter a month in the Jerusalem Post and several articles including the following:
a. “Climate Change: An Existential Threat to Israel, the US, and the World,” can be read at: http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Climate-change-An-existential-threat-to-Israel-the-US-and-the-world-489556
b. “Why Israel Should Not Be Extolling President Trump” can be read at:http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Why-Israel-should-not-be-extolling-President-Trump-533541
c. “In Defense of Jewish Liberals” can be read at https://www.jpost.com/Opinion/In-defense-of-Jewish-liberals-549421
- I often speak at the Protea Hills retirement village where my wife and I live in the Shoresh area of Israel. In May I am scheduled to speak on “ Torah Teachings that Can Transform the World” and on “The Prophets: The Most Disturbing People in History.” I am also scheduled to facilitate a discussion at an “Interfaith Climate Change and Renewable Energy Conference” in Jerusalem on May 9.
This is just the beginning of strategy considerations so please let me know of suggestions you have about my materials above and how we might work together in applying Jewish values toward a more just, peaceful, compassionate, environmentally sustainable world. I can be contacted at VeggieRich@gmail.com. Remember: there is no Planet B. The world we are trying to save is the only one we have.
Many thanks and ALL the best.