JECO – Jewish Ecological Coalition
What we are
The Jewish Ecological Coalition, JECO, is a not-for-profit organisation, founded in Melbourne, Australia in July 2003.
Why we formed
JECO was set up to emphasise and deepen the Jewish commitment to sustainability and to raise awareness within and beyond the Jewish community about Judaism’s strong environmental message.
What we aim to do
- To educate and encourage individuals to “tread softly on the face of the earth”; i.e. to minimise their environmental footprint.
- To work with individuals and organisations to prevent and repair environmental damage.
- To build bridges between the Jewish and wider community by working together for sustainability.
How we achieve our aims
- Distribute an eNews with with information on the latest events and activities
- Maintain a website with environmental resources and information about recycling opportunities
- Gather and disseminate current information and philosophies on the environment
- Provide topical events including film showings and presentations with expert guest speakers
- Promote sustainability by participating in events including In One Voice, Limmud Oz, Mitzvah Day, and Clean Up Australia Day
- Support and encourage environmentally-focused activities, including those linked to Jewish festivals such as Tu Bishvat.
- Partner with the Port Phillip EcoCentre to run the St Kilda Repair Cafe
- Collect used mobile phones for reconditioning and/or recycling.
Why we need you
JECO needs people who can help by joining us to initiate new projects especially in the areas of fund raising, publicity and the media. Contact us at JECO
- Advocacy and/or Policy
- Carbon Footprints
- Children K-12
- Children K-8
- Clergy and Rabbinical Students
- Climate Change
- Communities of Practice
- Community Leaders
- Community Organizing and Policymaking
- Direct Educational Programs and Experiences
- Earth-Based Jewish Practices
- Environmental Justice
- Field-Building and Capacity-Building
- Gardens / Gardening
- Hands-On Greening
- Jewish Identity
- Lay Leaders
- Products for Purchase
- Ready-Made Resources
- Renewable Energy
- Responsible Investment Choices
- Shabbat / Shmita / Cycles of Rest
- Sustainable Building
- Teachers / Educators
- Transportation Alternatives
- Tu B'Shvat / Tu B'Shevat / New Year for Trees
- University Students
- Weekly Parsha / Torah Portion
- Young Adults