Celebrating Shabbat Through Energy Conservation
Audience: Ages 11 and up
Duration: 15 minutes
To explore shabbat as a weekly environmental holiday
To calculate how much energy is saved by observing shabbat
Materials: Worksheet (attached) – 1 per pair of students
Pencils & pens
Calculators – 1 per pair of students
1) Discuss the values and practices of shabbat.
2) Divide students into pairs and distribute worksheets on per pair
3) Read and discuss the quote at the top of the page. Discuss the value of shabbat as a day of not using resources.
4) Distribute pencils and calculators
5) Instruct students to compete the worksheet.
6) Share final answer and discuss.
Final Answer: If every Jew in America didn’t use a TV, computer or drive on Shabbat we would eliminate
10,923,120,000 lbs of CO2 each year!
All content is subject to the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. (Ie. Tell other where you got it from and don't sell it)