Meet and Greet The Beet-Eating Heeb
Blogs devoted to vegan and vegetarian Judaism have all but vanished.
Heeb ‘n’ Vegan, once a thriving place in cyberspace, hung an “out-of-business” on its door in 2010.
Shalom Veg, another favorite of meat-abstaining Jews, has gone months without posting new content.
The last thing the world needs is another blog. Except in this case.
As interest in all things vegan and vegetarian continues to grow, the Beet-Eating Heeb (BEH for short) has plenty of information to share, issues to discuss, and people to interview.
BEH has ambitious plans for this site. In fact, he originally named this blog “The Ambitious Beet-Eating Heeb.” But Wife of BEH astutely noted that “Beet-Eating Heeb” is hard enough to say.
So what is so ambitious about this blog? Here is some of what you can expect to find here in the weeks and months ahead:
- A serious examination of what the Torah has to say about food. The laws of kashrut matter, but there is much more.
- A curating and analysis of news about relevant food issues. The Beet-Eating Heeb spent 18 years in journalism, so he knows how to spot a good story, presumably.
- Interviews with rabbis, food experts, activists, vegans, vegetarians, flexitarians, pescatarians and carnivores. But BEH draws the line at freegans. (Google it. You’ll understand.)
- A dose of humor. While the consequences of industrial food production are rather sobering, The Beet-Eating Heeb still enjoys a chuckle as much as the next beet-eating guy.
- BEH is a busy guy, what with a day job, a family, and even a grad-school class. But there is so much to talk about, so much to digest (pun intended), and so much at stake, he is committed to posting on the Jewcology site at least once a month.
He hopes to see you often.