5 Actions You Can Take in 15 Minutes To Protect Forests
1. Send a virtual postcard to the US Forest Service at http://www.ourforests.org/ to support an effective policy to protect our national forests.
2. Reduce junk mail. Send a letter to the Direct Marketing Association, Mail Preference Service, POB 9008, Farmingdale, NY 11735-9008 asking to remove your name from mailing lists.
3. Buy one forest-friendly alternative to an everyday product. Some suggestions: avoid paper cups by investing in a reusable travel mug, buy stationary from tree-free paper or recycled paper with at least 50% post-consumer waste, share a newspaper or magazine subscription with a friend.
4. Make a commitment to purchase only wood products certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC); ask for them at The Home Depot.
5. Pick two actions from the "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" list and commit to doing them this year. Next year, pick two more