Energy Activities for Adults
Our Jewish Sources on Energy and its Uses
Instructions for Discussion Group Leader
Intended audience: Adults
This activity will involve study of the basic concepts regarding energy and why it needs to be saved and a number of applicable Jewish sources, and an optional demonstration of the efficiency of Compact Fluorescent bulbs. Bulbs may also be sold at the event.
- Review the activity materials, and depending on the time available and the type of audience, pick and choose what you will cover.
- Serve refreshments in washable, biodegradable or recyclable utensils
- Reduce use of photocopied paper by planning to share sheets, and/or using books which are passed around and read out loud
- Start with a short discussion about, “What Is Energy, Why and How Do We Save It?”
- Turn the discussion to, “What do our Jewish sources have to teach us about the use of and the waste of energy?” (See “Texts to Explore”)
- Demonstrate the efficiency of Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFLS) compared to incandescent bulbs. (download activity sheet)
- Provide CFL bulbs for sale to participants in the study session. (Download a chart to help people choose the right lightbulbs)
- Distribute and review “Home Energy Audit” check list for home follow up.
- Printable Version of this Activity
- What is Energy, Why and How Do We Save It?
- Texts to explore energy
- Demonstration of CFL vs. Lightbulb
- Home Energy Audit check list
- Chart for Choosing Lightbulbs
Much thanks to Judy Adler Sheer for preparing these resources.
This content originated at Canfei Nesharim.org.