Hazon CSA Program
Hazon Community Supported Agriculture: Hazon’s CSA program is the first ongoing effort in the American Jewish community to support local, sustainable agriculture. Click here to learn more about it.
Hazon CSA and Hazon's "Vision"
There are two main reasons that Hazon founded Hazon CSA:
First, we care deeply about supporting sustainable agriculture and local farmers. In 2009, more than $950,000 went to our Hazon CSA partner farmers – and we believe that alone makes Hazon CSA a worthwhile endeavor.
In addition to providing people with the opportunity to purchase and eat local, organic produce, Hazon CSAs helps to protect land from development and urban sprawl by supporting the work of small farmers.
Secondly, we are interested in creating vibrant Jewish communities and educational opportunities. Hazon CSA offers a powerful and unique way to foster pluralism and inter-generational connections in the Jewish community. It is an innovative educational platform, which allows members to explore contemporary food issues from a Jewish perspective. The Jewish tradition has a long history of thinking about what is kosher (literally, "fit") for us to eat. Hazon CSA offers a chance to re-examine and potentially redefine what it means for food to be "fit" – not only for us, but for the community and the earth as well.
Hazon CSA is a perfect match for the Jewish community because it provides the opportunity to:
- Put Jewish purchasing power behind local family farms.
- Bring healthy, locally-grown food into Jewish homes.
- Create engaging, high-quality adult and family Jewish education around food and agriculture.
- Encourage Jewish participation in the sustainable agriculture movement while both broadening the Jewish commitment of those already Jewishly involved and creating an accessible gateway into Jewish life for those who have less or no involvement in the organized Jewish community.
- Build a cadre of volunteer leaders in the Jewish community.
- Spur Jewish people to re-examine what it means for food to be kosher – “fit” for us as well as for the community and the earth.
- Work towards a better understanding of just food systems, informed by the Jewish agricultural mitzvot of Pe’ah, Leket, Shekecha and increasing access to healthy food.
Hazon warmly welcomes you to join or start a Hazon CSA–whether your own passions lie with eating healthy, organic food, or supporting sustainable agriculture, or building and being part of a vibrant Jewish community. Starting your own CSA
Got something to say?
You must be logged in to post a comment.