Jewish Superheroes for the Earth
- To learn the primary role given human – l'ovdah u'lshomera – to serve and protect
- To explore how the students can help make a difference in their lives
Duration: 20 minutes
Materials: workseets, pencils, markers.
Audience: Grades 1 – 4
1) Introduce the teaching from Genesis 2:15
"And G-d placed Ha'Adam in the Garen of Eden L'ovdah u'lshomerah, to serve and protect it" (work/guard, till/tend)
2) Discuss – What does this mean to serve and protect the planet.
3) Question – Where else have the students heard the motto "To serve and protect" Ans – police.
4) Explain to students that they are going to be like police for the planet only better, Superheroes.
Distribute worksheet, pencils and markers and instruct students to choose their own superhero for the Earth, create a creed, etc.
(You may need to explain what a creed it. Definition "A brief statement of belief"
5) When the students are finished, have them share their Superhero name and creed.
6) (Optional) Post the final worksheet to remind the students of their superhero alter egos
Materials developed by Noam Dolgin, www.noamdolgin.com.
All content is subject to the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. (Ie. Tell other where you got it from and don't sell it)
Got something to say?
You must be logged in to post a comment.